CYPRUS BROADBAND FORUM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

advanced search
april 18 2024 09:49pm

CYTANET WIFI

Pages: [1]
Print
Topic: Cytanet WiFi  (Read 22356 times)
biggles

View Profile
« on: January 20 2011 08:42am »

I'm hoping that someone will take pity on me, and help me out with my wiFi connection as I'm on the verge of changing providers and maybe even throwing all my technology out of the window.............

I'm with Cyta, have the grey Thomson modem, and the Home2000 package. I use the internet for the usual browsing and e-mails and, like everyone else, would like to be able to use my laptop and Ipod Touch anywhere in the house and garden.

We live in the usual concrete and steel construction, so I'm aware that the fact that the Thomson box is upstairs connected to the PC, means that the intervening floor and walls act as a Faraday cage when trying to connect to the internet downstairs.

So, I bought a Devolo kit http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/devolo-1383-dlan-highspeed-ii-starter-kit-00939029-pdt.html
which works well. I used to have a Linksys repeater and router but when the repeater burnt out, it was far too expensive to replace so bought this item instead.

My problem is that I have been having connection issues with the WiFi for a few months now. Cyta always blame my laptop (it's the standard response) but are then silenced when I tell them that both laptops and my iTouch work excellently on any other wireless network except my own. It's so bad that the laptops can't even connect to the internet when in the same room as the Thomson box/PC. Even the Cyta engineer seemed a bit nonplussed by that one.

The box has been swapped for a new (reconditioned) one, after which I had to spend a delightful three hours on Cyta's helpline trying to get it to work (security settings were apparently incorrect, and hadn't been tested by the installing engineer) but it's still hopeless.

It's got to the stage where I will change providers if Cyta don't get this sorted out - but before I contact them for one last time, does anybody have any advice, or can you shed any light on this? Is it normal to be able to detect a WiFi network from three feet away, but not be able to connect to it? Ironically, we can connect downstairs due to the Devolo equipment, but only intermittently as the signal keeps dropping out.

I'd be so very grateful for any advice or help you can offer - and would be thankful if you could treat me as an idiot who knows nothing! That way, I might understand any kind replies.

Many thanks
falconcy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20 2011 10:22am »

It won't be easy to work out the issue without being physically there to look at it. The first question I would ask is where do you live? That way somebody near you can likely take a look at it for you. If it's Limassol, drop me a pm and we can arrange something.
biggles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22 2011 03:41pm »

I'm typing this on my laptop downstairs because my new best friend and all round top bloke, falconcy, visited me today and sorted out all my problems. Well, I still need to play the piano better, and I'm not too happy with my hairdresser, but there wasn't much he could do about that.

He could, however, fix my WiFi connection and this he did with grace, humour, kindness and a great deal of clever stuff that I didn't always follow, but for which I am eternally grateful.

Thank you, thank you, thank you - and you even made the sun shine again during the visit. A true miracle worker.
paliometoxo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25 2011 12:42pm »

I'm typing this on my laptop downstairs because my new best friend and all round top bloke, falconcy, visited me today and sorted out all my problems. Well, I still need to play the piano better, and I'm not too happy with my hairdresser, but there wasn't much he could do about that.

He could, however, fix my WiFi connection and this he did with grace, humour, kindness and a great deal of clever stuff that I didn't always follow, but for which I am eternally grateful.

Thank you, thank you, thank you - and you even made the sun shine again during the visit. A true miracle worker.

its nothing to do with the provider, you just need a router with a stronger signal, or maybe buy a hub but a good one in cyprus may cost a 100/200 euros, but if you use the rubbish ones like cyta send you then you wont be able to use it far away from the router/hub and no other isp will send you expensive ones
falconcy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25 2011 02:41pm »

its nothing to do with the provider, you just need a router with a stronger signal, or maybe buy a hub but a good one in cyprus may cost a 100/200 euros, but if you use the rubbish ones like cyta send you then you wont be able to use it far away from the router/hub and no other isp will send you expensive ones

@paliometoxo - perhaps you can tell everybody just how I managed to get the stock Cyta issue Speedtouch 585 v7 to work fine in this particular scenario throughout the whole house without the need for additional hardware. The connection also miraculously sped up on other devices connected to the network, care to explain that too?
Mikojan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02 2011 11:03am »

Well Hi there

After years of working with desktop machines I'm shortly coming back to the Island armed with a new toy - a wireless laptop. My apartment doesn't have a telephone line connection, because  the amount of time I've spent over there has'nt really made it worthwhile. My first question is therefore how much does CYTA charge to connect and what is their monthly line rental?
Secondly,   In the UK, these laptops are working quite well with those new fangled "Dongles" - my next question is therefore do CYTA or any other supplier supply these same "Dongles" and how good is this type of connection ?

stefandem

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05 2011 02:02pm »

here is the dongles section of cyta.
I don't know anything about it but I am sure you can find the info there.
http://www.cytamobile-vodafone.com/Default.aspx?ID=303

As for the landline here is all the info there, but for 117 euros for the connection, plus 16 euros per month, I wouldn't do that.
https://www.cytawebshop.cyta.com.cy/OrderAndBilling/ProductsAndServices/ProductG3.aspx?id=1
Pages: [1]
Print

Cyprus Broadband Forum » General Broadband Discussion

Jump to: